If you are trying to build chat application, either you need to poll connection to server every 5 seconds, or keep the connection open – in any case your server usage will be high. Or consider you trying to build stock-ticker application, which updates stock-scrip every bi-second.
There hasn’t been a decent abstraction out-of-the-box from ASP.Net which will support such scenarios.
Hence, SignalR comes to picture
– It is an asynchronous signaling library for ASP.NET.
– SignalR is broken up into a few package on NuGet:
· SignalR – A meta package that brings in SignalR.Server and SignalR.Js (you should install this)
· SignalR.Server – Server side components needed to build SignalR endpoints
· SignalR.Client – .NET client for SignalR
· SignalR.Ninject – Ninject dependeny resolver for SignalR
Give it a try!